slackercentral.com messageboard  

Go Back   slackercentral.com messageboard > Main boards > Off Topic

Old 03-23-09, 01:50 AM   #1
Mole

Awesome plasma blade... Could be lightsaber in the not too distant future?

http://digg.com/general_sciences/Pla..._of_the_Future

This is a surgical tool that might replace all scalpels. Instead of using a sharp edge to cut through human flesh, it uses waves of plasma at the tip to instantly cut/cauterize with 100% ease... The tip of it isn't even sharp. Since it cauterizes as it cuts, it instantly solves the problem of bleeding, which is traditionally handled with a separate tool that cauterizes.

There's videos on YouTube that demonstrate it, but I didn't want to link to any, because they are pretty intense.

Yeah, it's a surgical tool, but it's designed to cut through human flesh without a hitch. I can imagine this being applied to weapons someday, like plasma bullets... It's still a stretch from an actual lightsaber, but if they applied it to a large blade, it could probably cut through a human being with a lot of ease.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 09:40 AM   #2
Greatergatsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole View Post

Yeah, it's a surgical tool, but it's designed to cut through human flesh without a hitch. I can imagine this being applied to weapons someday, like plasma bullets... It's still a stretch from an actual lightsaber, but if they applied it to a large blade, it could probably cut through a human being with a lot of ease.
who's gonna want bullets that cauterize the wound?

Jason Prince: "Toy Story 3 movie is not only a good. it is awesome! I could not help crying while watching Toy Story 3 movie if you do not see Toy Story 3 movies that still trying to source where I saw it."
Greatergatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 10:00 AM   #3
Mole

It's not so much that they would cauterize on impact, but the blade they have cuts through human flesh effortlessly... They would go deep and do a lot of damage, they'd probably even go straight through a body if there wasn't a bone in the way... And if there was a bone in the way, that bone would be boned.

Old 03-23-09, 10:39 AM   #4
Greatergatsby

Quote:
It's not so much that they would cauterize on impact, but the blade they have cuts through human flesh effortlessly... They would go deep and do a lot of damage, they'd probably even go straight through a body if there wasn't a bone in the way... And if there was a bone in the way, that bone would be boned.
aren't bones already boned? i mean...they are bones.

Jason Prince: "Toy Story 3 movie is not only a good. it is awesome! I could not help crying while watching Toy Story 3 movie if you do not see Toy Story 3 movies that still trying to source where I saw it."
Old 03-23-09, 10:48 AM   #5
Apoch003

Next Sunday, A.D.
There was a guy named Joel..
Nothing different from you or me.
He worked as Gizmonics Institute
Just Another face in a red jumpsuit.
He did a good job cleaning up the place
but his bosses didn't like him so they shot him into space.

"We'll send him cheesy movies.
The worst we can find!
He'll have to sit and watch them all
and we'll monitor his mind!"

Now keep in mind Joel can't control
where the movies begin or end.
Because he used those special parts
to make his robot friends.

Robot roll call!
Cambot!
Gypsy!
Tom Servo!
Croooooooooooow!

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts..
then repeat to yourself "it's just a show, I should really just relax!"
For Mystery Science Theater 3000!

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
-- Harry Hill
Apoch003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 11:47 AM   #6
Cop
Darth Vark

Quote:
the blade they have cuts through human flesh effortlessly...
So does a scalpel, or have you ever seen a surgeon hacking away at a patient?

You can get nasty cuts using a simple kitchen knife, so what does that say about human flesh?

To Protect and Sever - Baton courtesy, service with a smile!

"IE is okay" - ItsNoot
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 12:38 PM   #7
Greatergatsby

it is a cool idea. now if they can make a plasma kitchen knife we'll be in business!

Old 03-23-09, 01:36 PM   #8
Maniac
Subscriber

Link to youtube now!

BMCLOL!
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 05:47 PM   #9
Apoch003

Quote:
http://digg.com/general_sciences/Pla..._of_the_Future

This is a surgical tool that might replace all scalpels. Instead of using a sharp edge to cut through human flesh, it uses waves of plasma at the tip to instantly cut/cauterize with 100% ease... The tip of it isn't even sharp. Since it cauterizes as it cuts, it instantly solves the problem of bleeding, which is traditionally handled with a separate tool that cauterizes.

There's videos on YouTube that demonstrate it, but I didn't want to link to any, because they are pretty intense.

If it cuts, and then cauterizes in one go.... wouldn't that leave a gaping hole in a patient that wouldn't heal?

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
-- Harry Hill
Apoch003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 07:56 PM   #10
Mole

I'm not exactly an expert on electrosurgery. But from this video, I did learn that scalpels do a good job of cutting, but cause massive bleeding, which has to be cauterized with a separate tool that actually damages tissue. What the hell, I'm gonna link the video... If you have a sensitive stomach, don't watch... You're liable to puke all over your computer and/or pass the fuck out:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 03-23-09, 08:23 PM   #11
ukstatboy

I bet it smells like bacon.

Working in hair replacement, swindling the bald. Where very few are chosen, and fewer still are called.

Deliver me from evil, and deliver me from greed. Deliver me a hot stud and a couple grams of speed.

Some people might say it's not a very smart idea to throw 6 lighters into a blender. Those people would be right.
ukstatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 11:31 PM   #12
philosophemer

The scalpel went the way of the toothbrush.

...in bed.
philosophemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 10:05 AM   #13
Greatergatsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstatboy View Post
I bet it smells like bacon.
oh man...if only there were a blade that cuts and cooks at the same time...you can cut the bacon straight from the pig and chow down!!

Old 03-24-09, 07:37 PM   #14
Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatergatsby View Post
oh man...if only there were a blade that cuts and cooks at the same time...you can cut the bacon straight from the pig and chow down!!
Well, we got heat seeking bullets that can cook whatever they kill at the same time... So we're half-way there!
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Post New Thread Post Reply